How To Pick Good Dog Breeders
If you are interested in a particular breed you should definitely locate ethical dog breeders of that type.
Don’t take a chance on buying a puppy from a store.
Responsible breeders don’t sell to stores and quite often store puppies have diseases. A good breeder is concerned for the dog’s health and stands behind it with a written guarantee.
Ask a veterinarian in your area for the name of a reputable breeder. Ask friends as well, they may have the breed you are interested in and will know of one.
A good breeder should:
- Have records of veterinary visits
- Make puppy’s medical history available as well as telling you the shots she needs
- Tell you how to care for the puppy
- Give you all the information available about the puppy (i.e. characteristics)
- Raise the puppy inside a home and not in a kennel run. They make better pets.
- Tell you how to train the dog
- Have references available from other customers
- Feed puppies high quality healthful food
- Want your whole family to meet the dog before buying
- Not let you have the dog if you’re not suitable for it
- Breed only one or two breeds at the most
Make sure the dog breeder you choose truly loves the breed.
© Copyright Excelsior Information Systems Ltd 2007 - 2015.