Pay Close Attention! Dog Training Basics
Dog training is essential to a happy dog and a happy owner.
A well behaved dog is a pleasure to live with and also a pleasure for other people and dogs to be around.
There are many purposes of dog training.
- Controlling undesirable behaviors like
-at the vet
-walking on leash
-being around other people and dogs
Some Training Methods include:
We don’t recommend choke chains or electronic shock training.
There are several choices of where to train your pup:
- Advanced classes (i.e. security, obedience, agility, etc.)
Tips for teaching a command:
- Pick what you’ll have your dog do
- Decide on a signal you’ll use
- Say your dog’s name and the command immediately following it
- Only say the command once, don’t keep repeating it or your dog’s name
- Use a hand signal with your verbal command
- Make sure you enforce the command, you are the boss
- Give praise immediately following the correct behavior
- Release your dog from “training” or “working” with a command like “all done” and give him a stroke under the chin
- Work with your dog around distractions
- Give your dog refresher courses
© Copyright Excelsior Information Systems Ltd 2007 - 2015.Privacy